Friday, July 21, 2017

I Cried Because I Had No Shoes . . .



While growing up, my Dad often repeated the ancient Persian saying:

"I cried because I had no shoes. Then I met a man who had no feet."

This adage reflects the truth that no matter how bad your situation is, there is probably someone even worse off. They are coping with their predicament, and so can you. So, quit whining. Suck it up.

Just last week, I was in a situation in which the old wisdom applied perfectly. I had traveled to my hometown of Tipton, in north-central Indiana, for my (ordinal number deleted) high school class reunion. The Tipton County Fair was happening the same weekend. With a little time to kill during the day, and little else to do in this town of 5,000 people, I paid a visit to the fair.

In the fair's commercial building, I was happy to see a booth for the local Tipton County Democrats. It was in a prime, high traffic area. It was well-decorated. Best of all, it was staffed by three enthusiastic workers.

This proud waving of the Democratic flag was a welcome surprise. During my youth, my county was always a deep red one. The state legislative politicians were reliably Republican. A perennial sacrificial Democratic candidate always lost against our GOP Congressman. No Democrat has won the county in a Presidential race since the 1964 massacre by Lyndon Johnson.

The current political scene is no different. Tipton County, like much of Indiana, is prime Trump territory. It is 98% white. The area has historically been a heavy manufacturing region, with many auto industry suppliers. However, hard times hit and several big factories closed. Promises to revive American manufacturing are very enticing to voters here.

Last year, Trump carried the county with 74.4 % of the vote. Trump carried the entire state of Indiana with 57.2% of the vote.

In contrast, my own Washington County, Wisconsin went only 67.8% for Trump. That is, Tipton County was 6.6% more Trumpian than Washington County (the 3rd most Trump-loving Wisconsin county). My birth county makes my adopted Washington County seem downright progressive.

Trump carried Wisconsin with only 47.9% of the vote. Trump's share of the votes in Indiana was almost ten percent higher than his share in Wisconsin. My birth state makes my adopted Wisconsin seem downright liberal.

But even in deep red Tipton County, in the heart of deep red Indiana, the Tipton County Democrats know that they can make a difference. Despite having little hope at the local level, they can help elect Democrats at the state and national level. And they have. Senator Evan Bayh represented Indiana for two terms and was Governor for eight years. Democratic Senator Joe Donnelly currently serves the state. As recently as 2008, the state voted Democratic for President Obama.

So I will stop crying because I have no shoes. Suddenly, being a Washington County Democrat doesn't seem like such an overwhelmingly lost cause. I have seen enthusiastic Democrats working one of the reddest crowds in America. I have seen hardworking county-fair volunteers waving the progressive flag in deeply Republican Tipton County, Indiana. If they can do it there, we can certainly do it here.




1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Paul. I missed your July 2017 post on the Tipton County Democratic Party's Facebook page until just today, and I am uplifted by your observations. You have restored my hope for our Tipton County Democrats. I'm sorry I wasn't at the booth the day you stopped by the Tipton County fair.

    ReplyDelete